GREAT LOCAL IDEAS IN MELBOURNE ELECTORATE SECURE FUNDING THROUGH PICK MY PROJECT
Six great local projects in the electorate of Melbourne have secured vital funding through Pick My Project – the Andrews Labor Government’s ground-breaking program that gives locals the power to choose the projects their community needs.
Member for Northern Metropolitan Region, Jenny Mikakos MP, today announced that six local organisations will share in over $510,000 from the $30 million, Victorian-first initiative.
The local projects to receive funding include:
- Intersections will receive $200,000 to conduct an artistic production about fighting cancer.
- Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre will receive $188,568 to build a men’s shed in the Parkville medical precinct.
- Brewing for Change will receive $38,089 to provide paid hospitality training opportunities for women from refugee backgrounds.
- Hasene Australia will receive $31,000 for programs to provide food for the homeless, and emergency services, on site.
- Bolton Clarke will receive $30,750 for programs to reduce loneliness and social isolation of older citizens.
- Kensington Neighbourhood House will receive $23,520 to provide programs that create a safe space for people struggling with mental health.
Through the $30 million Pick My Project initiative, Victorian residents aged 16 and over were given the opportunity to submit their idea for a project or program that made their community a better place to live.
People were then given the chance to vote for their favourite project. More than 95,000 Victorians cast votes, with successful projects receiving grants of between $20,000 and $200,000.
More than 230 projects across Melbourne and regional Victoria received funding through Pick My Project, with funding divided equally between Melbourne and regional Victoria based on the population of each of the six metropolitan and nine regional partnership areas.
To ensure a range of small and large communities had the opportunity to be part of Pick My Project, no more than 50 per cent of a partnership areas funding was awarded to one local government area.
A full list of successful projects is available at pickmyproject.vic.gov.au.
Quotes attributable to Member for Northern Metropolitan Region, Jenny Mikakos
“I’m so pleased these projects in the electorate of Melbourne will get the funding and support they need thanks to this ground-breaking initiative.”
“Pick My Project will make a real difference in the electorate of Melbourne and communities across the state – giving locals the power to choose the projects their community needs.”